CHP is Combined Heat & Power with the waste heat recovered from the power maker's hot
exhaust and converted into energy, be it heat,
steam, air conditioning, refrigeration, dehumidification etc. No additional fuel is required so there is a substancial expense savings.
CHP IS A PROVEN, POSITIVE SOLUTION
- There have been over 3,500 CHP Systems installed in the U.S. for a total of 82,000 MW's.
- CHP technology is welcomed by all branches of government. For example, the E.P.A. is one of the greatest supporters.
- The first American CHP System was built in the U.S. in 1882. It was Thomas Edison's first plant and it was installed in New York City.
- The U.S. Capital and Congressional buildings are in the process of being converted to CHP.
- CHP is considered to be a Class III renewable resource and therefore is included in state incentive programs.
- Since 2003, the Energy Department has been working to grow the CHP market through technical assistance partnerships.
- The goal of 40,000 MW's of new cost-effective CHP power by 2020 would result in $40 to $80 billion in new investment and a reduction of carbon pollution equal to the emissions of 25 million cars. This would also provide thousands of new high-paying jobs.
- During Hurricane Sandy, buildings with CHP Systems remained in operation, while facilities around them were blacked out. Many lives were saved.
COMBINED HEAT & POWER:
Reduces Fuel Consumption - CHP reduces fuel consumption by up to 30% because the same amount of fuel supplies both electricity and thermal power.
Increases Energy Efficiency - Energy efficiency is increased by up to 40%. One reason is that there is a saving in transmission costs as the power is produced at the facility. Also, less fuel used means greater efficiency and a smaller carbon footprint.
Increases Reliability - A CHP System provides up to 99.99998% reliability. This is because it continues to produce electricity even when the electrical grid is down.
Reduces Greenhouse Gas - Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions are reduced as less fuel is used and the fuel is usually natural gas that is about 40% lower in emissions than coal and 30% lower than oil. A CHP System is 73% "GREENER" than a coal-fired facility.
Increases Profitability - Your cost per unit of power is reduced and in most cases you can sell excess electricity back to the grid.
Extends the Life of the Current Power Plant - Because of the increased efficiency, the existing power infrastructure takes less of a load and lasts longer hours.
Can be installed as a module - Your system can be modulized and or containerized for easy expansion as you grow.
Takes Advantage of Natural Gas- The recent shale gas revolution is a "game changer". As a result, the near and long-term supply outlook and competitive price position for natural gas will push CHP to new growth levels.
THE PAY- BACK PERIOD IS USUALLY 3 to 4 YEARS - Not only that, 100% project financing is available !
LEASING IS ALSO AVAILABLE
WHAT IS NEEDED FOR CHP ?
- Your facility should have a use for the free energy that is produced by the CHP system. This could be in the form of heating, air conditioning, hot water or steam to operate secondary equipment.
- Adequate space to house the CHP equipment - the footprint is relatively small. Often, the system can be housed in several containers.
- The facility should operate on a 24/7/365 basis.
WHO NEEDS CHP ?
- Facilities that cannot accept a long power outage - e.g. Hospitals, Assisted Living facilities, Prisons
- Facilities that need a high level of Air Conditioning - e.g. Data Centers, Casinos
- Facilities with mission critical aspects. - e.g. Universities with Research Laboratories
- Facilities that need to reduce expenses where possible. - e.g. Large Multi-Housing Developments, Food Processing Plants & Chemical Plants.
MANY FINANCING OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE
If your choice is to buy the CHP System, benefits include:
- Favorable bank financing.
Locked forward natural gas contracts in several states.
MACRS or accelerated depreciation.
Aggressive state incentives.
Federal Investment Tax Credit (10%).
In addition, LEASING IS AVAILABLE.
POWER ISLAND ENERGY is a turnkey CHP Developer. We have teaming partners in place to perform all aspects of CHP System development. These may differ based on the geographic region and will be presented after feasibility discussions regarding a specific project begin.
POWER ISLAND ENERGY and its partners have completed many CHP projects. These will be presented after feasibility discussions regarding a specific project begin.